We started off our work by looking at Leonardo da Vinchi’s drawings of “flying machines” which he drew before aeroplanes and helicopters were invented. We talked about what his drawings reminded us of and had a go at copying some of his sketches. We were then given the challenge of
designing our own flying machine based on a dragon or another animal of our choice.
Once we had designed our flying machines we had to make them out of junk modelling materials. We were allowed to work independently or as part of a small team. Once we had decorated them we took photos of them from above and we drew them really carefully. Finally we cut them out and stuck them onto maps so that they would look like aerial photographs.
This term we have been doing some 3D artwork. We looked at the work of sculptor Rey Hernandez and talked about what we noticed about his work. We then built on the skills that we learnt in Year 1 and used a range of decorative techniques, experimenting with the different tools in the clay. We discussed which tools we thought were the most effective and why.
After that we looked really carefully at some photos showing reptile’s eyes. We tried to recreate the patterns and textures that we could see in our clay. Once our dragon’s eyes were dry we had to try to recreate the colours in the photos that we were looking at. We found out that by adding white to the colours we could lighten them and by adding black we could make them darker. We were all very proud of our dragon eyes.
In the last week of term we did some drawing work. We used pencils, chalks and charcoals to create some fabulous polar bears. We cut them out carefully and stuck them on blue paper with some icebergs and added some snow onto them. We loved that all of our polar bears had different expressions on their faces.
We have been learning about The Great Fire of London. We looked at the work of print-maker Em Varian who creates prints by drawing onto wood or lino and then carves away the negative space. She puts inks on the press and prints using this. We studied her work, House on Fire and looked carefully at the patterns she used within this lino print. We then had a go at drawing the fire, smokes, tiles and wooden slats in ourbooks and then replicated these on printing foam so that we could experiment with using the rollers and ink and printing with them.
We then thought about how we could make a print using different colours in our work. We looked at some photos of Tudor houses and had a go at drawing them in our books, focussing on the lines that we could see. We used these ideas to create our own Tudor house prints in black and white. After that we printed the River Thames in blue and then looked at mixing red, orange and yellow inks on the paint palettes to create the flames.
Finally, we cut out all of our pieces and put them together to make a huge collage of the Great Fire of London!